The Significance of Early Years: A Foundation for Lifelong Learning
At Saxton Primary School, we recognise that a child’s early years are the building blocks for their future. This crucial stage of development lays the foundation for a lifetime of learning and personal growth. We place great importance on fostering a positive and nurturing early years experience for our youngest children.
Our Early Years Principles:
We believe in the following principles for effective early years practice, which guide our approach to early childhood education:
- Every Child is Unique: We celebrate and respect the individuality of each child. Our teaching and learning practices are tailored to cater to the unique needs, interests, and abilities of every child. We understand that no two children are alike and that their learning journeys are personal.
- Positive Relationships: Building strong relationships is at the heart of our early years practice. We focus on creating a safe, secure, and nurturing environment where children feel valued, supported, and encouraged. These positive relationships provide a strong foundation for learning.
- Play-Based Learning: Play is the primary mode of learning for young children. We embrace play-based learning as it is the most natural way for children to explore, experiment, and understand the world around them. Play encourages creativity, problem-solving, and social development.
- The Outdoor Environment: We believe that outdoor learning is an essential part of early years education. The outdoors offer endless opportunities for exploration and hands-on experiences. Our outdoor environment is carefully designed to promote physical activity, exploration, and contact with nature.
- Observation and Assessment: Our practitioners continuously observe and assess children’s development and learning. These observations guide our planning, enabling us to provide activities and experiences that align with each child’s progress and interests.
- Communication and Language: Developing strong communication skills is a cornerstone of early years education. We foster language development through rich, stimulating conversations, storytelling, and activities that encourage speaking and listening.
- Independence and Resilience: Encouraging children to develop independence and resilience is integral to their personal growth. Our children learn how to make choices, solve problems, and persevere in the face of challenges.
- Parental Engagement: We value the partnership between parents and the school. Collaborating with parents is essential to ensure that each child’s learning journey is consistent at home and school. We encourage open communication and active involvement from parents.
- A Holistic Approach: We focus on the holistic development of children, recognizing that academic, physical, social, and emotional development are interconnected. Our curriculum and activities are designed to address all aspects of a child’s growth.
- Positive Attitudes Towards Learning: Fostering a love for learning is a fundamental goal. We strive to nurture children’s natural curiosity, enthusiasm, and self-motivation, which they will carry with them throughout their educational journey.
The Early Years Journey:
The early years are a unique and precious time when children are active learners and investigators, developing essential life skills. Our early years setting is designed to ensure that children feel safe, happy, and stimulated. We offer a variety of activities and experiences to ignite their imagination, inspire creativity, and encourage exploration.
The principles for effective early years practice lay the groundwork for children to flourish academically, emotionally, and socially. We believe that these principles, combined with a warm and nurturing environment, enable children to embark on their educational journey with confidence and a love for learning.
At Saxton Primary School, we are dedicated to providing an early years education that nurtures young minds, lays a strong foundation for future learning, and instils a lifelong passion for knowledge. We embrace the uniqueness of each child and are committed to creating a caring, inspiring, and stimulating environment in which they can thrive.