Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is providing funding of £150 million per annum to provide ‘new, substantial primary school sport funding’. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of Funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs
- supporting children who cannot yet meet the minimum requirements for KS2 swimming
- Creating opportunities to encourage children to become active throughout the day
Our plans to spend the Sports Premium, along with any previous funding that is previously underspent, here: SP STAR MAT Primary PE & Sport Premium 2020 2
We have promoted active lifestyles by asking our children to take ‘selfie’ photos of them doing something active. This shows the range of activities that our children do. The best photos have been printed onto large boards for display in school. Which are your favourites?
You can read evaluations of how we have previously spent our Sports Premium funding here: